Viewing VRML Webpages

Johannes Behr johannes.behr at igd.fraunhofer.de
Tue Oct 24 11:29:33 UTC 2006

Hi

> Hi is there any way in Ubuntu I can view a page like this:
> http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dhoiem/projects/popup/alley.html

Works with the octaga player

> I don't care if it's in the browser or standalone.  I tried installing
> openvrml-lookat from the repos but it just gave me an error, and a gtk
> version of lookat wanted to install Mozilla.
>
> So is there any way I can install a vrml viewer in under 20 min
> without risking my computer?

easy:

1) Get the Octaga-player 2.1 dapper-drake dep package from http://
www.octag.com
2) Install the dep package (e.g. with the GDabi package installer or
$sudo dbgk -i ocataga ...)
3) stop firefox
4) create a plugin symlink
	a) cd ~/.mozilla/plugins
	b) ln -s /usr/lib/octagaplayer/npOctaga.so
5) restart firefox

you can also start a standalone version from the comandline:
octagaplayer

regards,
   Johannes