Setting up a simple Web Server

Peter Yates pd.yates at gmail.com
Tue Oct 24 09:32:00 UTC 2006

Providing you have a static IP address (provided by your ISP) you should be
able to simply install a web server and set up port forwarding on your
router (if you have one) to direct port 80 to the hosting machine.  HTML
documents and pictures can then be served from your web root (/var/www/)

I recommend lighttpd, but apache will also do the job.

However, an easier option in my opinion would be to open a flickr account
and use f-spot to upload your pictures.  This way your relatives won't have
to type in an IP address and (unless you have a beefy connection) they
should be able to download them faster too.