Ubuntu Kernel Performance

Felipe Alfaro Solana felipe.alfaro at gmail.com
Mon Oct 23 23:33:03 UTC 2006

On 10/23/06, Victor Polukcht <vpolukcht at gmail.com> wrote:

>  Hi all. I'm using Ubuntu for a couple of years, and all that time i was
> using Intel-based Laptops. First that where P-3 based machines, last one is
> Pentium-M machine with 1G RAM and i915-based video (64M RAM). Some time ago
> i got AMD64-based desktop. After some upgrades it is quite modern
> AMD64-3200+ Socket AM2, 2G RAM DDR2, Nvidia GeForce 6200 256Gb, SATA2 HDD
> and also Edgy Eft running on it. You want to ask why am i describing my
> desktop and laptops configuration? The answer is: My not very modern laptop
> is working much faster than amd-based desktop. I'm using binary Nvidia
> drivers on it, so that shouldn't be a weak point.
>
> I took a look at default kernel configuration that comes with linux-386
> kernel, and found that it has enabled i486-optimization options. Can it be
> the reason of my troubles?
>
> The only way i'm asking this question is my desire for understanding what
> should i do next, throw away my new desktop, or recompile kernel and so on.

To be honest, I'm not sure what's going on. In my case, I'm using the
-generic kernel, which is compiled for 686 and supports SMP. I'm running
Edgy on a MacBook Pro and it flies. So, now, my only recommendation is for
you to try switching to the -generic kernel and seeing if it improves the
performance.

Else, we should need to figure out what component is not performing as it
should.