Radeon 9250 in Ubuntu

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Mon Oct 23 21:01:10 UTC 2006

smithveg <smithveg at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I had just installed ubuntu, and i found out that the graphic driver is not
> install.
> I know that i need to install 'xFree86', am i right? I'm not sure.
>
> But, after i see this page, http://xfree86.org/4.6.0/radeon.4.html
> I noticed that there is no Redeon 9250 support, So, What should i do now?
>
> In addition, i check back the graphic card's box, in the System
> Requirements,
> Operating Systems: Windows XP/2000.
>
> What should i do now? Is that possible for me to install Radeon 9250 for
> running in Ubuntu.
> I hope that i no need to change a graphic card.

Hi smithveg,

I have a Radeon 9250 too, which I bought new 6 months ago.
>From my experience, it works perfectly out of the box.
I didn't have to do anything whatsoever to get it working.
Just install Ubuntu as normal and it will work.

I am not sure to understand the problem you described at the start of
your e-mail. No, you don't have to install XFree86. Ubuntu doesn't use
XFree86, it uses X.org instead.
It is possible that X.org was not installed, though, depending which way
you installed Ubuntu ('server' install for example).
How exactly did you proceed to install Ubuntu ? Did you download it
from the Ubuntu website, if so can you tell us the exact file name of
the ISO you grabbed ? What version of Ubuntu did you install (6.06,
5.10, Edgy ?) exactly ?

--
Vince