Back to Windows...

Ouattara Oumar Aziz wattazoum at gmail.com
Mon Oct 23 08:48:03 UTC 2006

K S Balaji :
> Hi
>
> It was good to be using Ubuntu for about a month.  I lost my Thunderbird
> mails as I had to reinstall Ubuntu.  Even though I had a copy of the
> mails on CD, I could not restore them in the new installation even after
> going through various How Tos.
>
> I had to remove Ubuntu and reinstall XP, buy a licensed software to
> convert my thunderbird mails to .eml format and print them.  Even though
> Ubuntu was free, I still had to pay heavily for it.
>
> Ubuntu as well as Linux distros have a long journey to make before they
> can compete with Windows which I had to learn the hard way.  Now I have
> to get my XP activated again...:-(
>
> Regards
>
> K S Balaji

Hi,

We helped you. You can't complain about that. But what you did wrong, is
to use thunderstor to back up your mail. That done, it was the only soft
that could restore them. and it doesn't exist on Ubuntu.

But when you came here you didn't explain well, you came looking for
"something like thunderstor on Ubuntu" so we gave you alternatives for
backuping email. But what you really wanted was an alternative to
restoring your thunderstor backup on Ubuntu. If you had asked that we
would have propose you to run thunderstor on Wine (or a fork to wine).
Or event to restore your mail in a new profile to a friend's computer on
windows. so that you can get it back on your Ubuntu.

Now, just because you didn't ask the proper question, you're blaming
Ubuntu, as well as paying licences for Windows software and even
bothering calling Microsoft for reactivating your Windows.

I propose you to retry Ubuntu, to ask for proper questions when you have
a question and explain exactly your situation before deciding we can't
help you.

wattazoum

ps: Jesus ! I can't believe that you went using Windows proprietary
software to backup your email in a proprietary format and now you are
blaming Ubuntu for not provading support for that software. The one you
should blame is http://bitdaddys.com/thunderstor.html for not providing
their software under Linux !
I am really upset about that !!!