RaLink rt2500 wireless cards -- edgy regression?

Peter Clutton peterclutton at gmail.com
Sun Oct 22 07:17:30 UTC 2006

On 10/8/06, Sean Hammond <sean.hammond at gmail.com> wrote:
> Has anyone else found that wireless cards using the RaLink rt2500
> chipset (that's the chipset for which RaLink released a GPL driver:
> http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page and which is
> sold for example by http://www.linuxemporium.co.uk/ as a
> linux-compatible wireless card)  don't work on Edgy?

As far as I'm concerned the regression began in dapper. I have a card
using the same Ralink chipset that won't work under dapper. Neither
will my DLink. Neither will my Intel. Neither will my Netgear. Neither
will my Necomm. Dapper and Edgy have horrible, horrible wireless
"support". Funnily enough Breezy worked straight out of the box, was
all ready to go with all of those cards. Dapper and Edgy identify them
just fine but wont configure them. Ubuntu is headed in a very bad
direction. I truly hope the actual release of Edgy proves me wrong,
but I can't see how it will be much different from the RC released one
week before.