a good hex editor

Cameron Hutchison lists at xdna.net
Fri Oct 20 00:29:37 UTC 2006

Luqman wrote:

>I am in need of a good, i.e. to some extent usable hex editor. I have
>had a try on vim (with hex mode), ghex2 and  hexcurse but none of them
>seem to do what I lke.

Since I am a vi fan, I found bvi (in universe) to be what I was looking
for. It seems to have a reasonable amount of functionality (more than
I need) and my fingers work well with it.

>I like to delete some parts of a binary file using such a hex editor.

I have no problems doing this with bvi. I just use 'x' like in vi.

>  There must an intuitively usable hexeditor available, I have not tried
>  yet.

Well, being based on vi keystrokes, bvi could not be called intuitive
unless you're already familiar with vi.