Dial-up internet

NoOp glgxg at mfire.com
Thu Oct 19 00:53:12 UTC 2006

Jason Ribeiro wrote:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DialupModemHowto worked well for me.
>  The hardest part was getting ubuntu to use my modem and the
> instructions vary from modem to modem but it seems that that page
> covers most of them.  To actually connect and disconnect from my
> provider, I just used 'pon' and 'poff' which worked well from the
> command line.

I wasted an entire day screwing around with trying to get my modem to
work today (dsl went out for about an hour so I figured I'd try dialup).
Followed the Howto, followed multiple other suggestions, and at the end
of the day the modem is recognized (Lucent LT), wvdial works, GnomePPP
works, all fail to actually dial the modem and break dialtone. If I
would have been on dial only when installing Ubuntu I would have given
up by now.

BTW: modem works just fine in Win2KP and is supported by Ubuntu.