Partitioning Question

Felix Miata mrmazda at ij.net
Tue Oct 17 03:17:31 UTC 2006

On 06/10/16 18:32 (GMT-0700) wade at wadesmart.com apparently typed:

> I have downloaded the alternate ubuntu cd.
> I am working on the partitions.
> This is what I have:

> IDE1 master (hda)  - 203.9 GB Maxtor
> #1 primary 98.7  MB B f ext3 /boot
> #2 primary 10.0  GB   f ext3 /
> #5 logical 501.7 MB   f ext3 /swap
> #6 logical 40.0  GB   f ext3 /home
> #7 logical 10.0  GB   f ext3 /second - this is for another OS to play with

> 1) I have seen several examples of reiserfs for home and temp.

I stick with ext3 for most partitions. Others like other types.

> 2) I have set this up correctly?

Should be just fine as is. As big as the HD is, you can afford to be
overgenerous with swap. Now's the best time to decide how generous.

> 3) Do I need to manually create /tmp /usr /var?

Need? Definitely not. Should? Debatable. I create separate for /, /boot
(ext2), /home, /pub (local network server), /srv (HTML server), /usr/local,
/isospace (ext2 for iso files only at the end of the HD). One reason to do
as I do is about backup frequency, backup size, and file type segregation.
--
"The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him,
and I am helped."				Psalm 28:7 NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409 ** Rotary ONLY since 1973

Felix Miata  ***  http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/ <- More than just a FAQ