Dealing with S3 suspend and a /home mounted with bind to a USB hard drive

Constantine Evans constantine at evanslabs.org
Mon Oct 16 18:45:30 UTC 2006

The internal hard drive in my laptop is dying, with my /home partition
affected the most, so I am using the following style of setup with a usb
hard drive:

mount /dev/sda1 /media/usbdisk (actually done automatically by hotplug)
mount -o bind /media/usbdisk/partbackup /home (done manually)

This works well when using the system. However, when I go into S3 sleep,
  the /home partition doesn't work, and gives me IO errors.
Interestingly, /media/usbdisk still works, and I just need to remount
/home in order for it to work. But it would be much nicer if I didn't
have to kill everything with something in /home open every time I came
out of S3.

Is there some reason why /media/usbdisk would remain accessible, while
the bind mounting would break? Do I need to mount the USB drive manually
instead of allowing hotplug and pmount to do it?

Constantine