Migrate from IDE to SATA

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Mon Oct 16 18:43:52 UTC 2006

"Amit Prahesh" <amit.prahesh at gmail.com> wrote:
> my machine always had a 40G PATA hard disk unto which I installed Kubuntu
> 6.06, taking all the disk (one little ext3 partition for /boot, the swap
> partition, and the rest of the disk is an XFS partition for /).
>
> Now, I have a new 80G SATA disk that I'd like to use as the system disk (of
> course, the motherboard has support).
>
> What's the easiest way to transfer everything from the IDE disk to the SATA
> (while keeping everything)?

Hmmm, I would just boot using the Ubuntu Live/Desktop CD, and use Gparted (in System->Administration) to partition the SATA disk and create the Ext3 file systems, mount them, then copy the data from the old disk to the new one.
Then you would need to install GRUB to the new disk, but I am not sure how to do it exactly from the Live CD, but I am sure others will know :-)

--
Vince