esd, skype, tor and boot

Gabriel M Dragffy dragffy at yandex.ru
Mon Oct 16 09:24:22 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-10-16 at 09:52 +0200, sebastien wrote:
> Hi all !
>
> Every time I boot, and then launch Skype, I cannot make calls until I
> 'killall esd' (I did not really undestand why & Im not technically
> skilled enough to) :-)
>
> How can I automate this at boot ?
>
> Where can I add this line ?

You should be able to do it quite easily, from inside gnome, go to
SYSTEM --> PREFERENCES --> SOUND and in this box uncheck the box with
the label "Enable software sound mixing (ESD). This should stop ESD ever
being started, the next time you restart ESD won't be started. You can
use killall just the once so you don't have to restart that time.

> By the way, I'd like TOR to be launched automatically at boot. Should I
> add this in the same place ?

I'm not entirely sure what TOR is,but you may be able to get it to start
by going to SYSTEM --> PREFERENECES --> SESSIONS and then change to the
STARTUP tab, in here you can click a button called ADD and then type in
the path to the program. This program will be started when your user
logs in to gnome.