F-Spot won't start

Eamonn Sullivan eamonn.sullivan at gmail.com
Sun Oct 15 18:35:49 UTC 2006

On 10/15/06, thephotoman <rantman_2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Eamonn Sullivan wrote:
[snip]
> >> Apt tells me that ubuntu-desktop is installed and is the latest version.
> >>   The failure and output do not change.  Furthermore, there are no
> >> annoying third party repositories screwing things up, as far as I can
> >> tell.  Even re-installing or compiling F-spot does no good.
[snip]
> > Hi, going back over the messages in this thread, I see that you're
> > ubuntu-desktop.

[snip]

>   Where is the MONO_PATH environment variable, so that I can check that?

I don't know, actually. I mentioned it because it is referred to in
the error messages you are getting, for example:

|** (/usr/local/lib/f-spot/f-spot.exe:11821): WARNING **: The following
|assembly referenced from /usr/local/lib/f-spot/f-spot.exe could not be
|loaded:
|     Assembly:   gnome-sharp    (assemblyref_index=9)
|     Version:    2.16.0.0
|     Public Key: 35e10195dab3c99f
|The assembly was not found in the Global Assembly Cache, a path listed
|in the MONO_PATH environment variable, or in the location of the
|executing assembly (/usr/local/lib/f-spot).

I just checked and I don't have any MONO_PATH in env either. If you're
still getting the same error message -- i.e., that it can't find
something in /usr/local... -- check whether you have a
/usr/local/lib/mono or /usr/local/f-spot. You shouldn't. If you do,
that may be loading first and interfering with the f-spot that comes
with Edgy, even if you try /usr/bin/f-spot, it may be loading the
libraries in /usr/local/lib. Try moving those directories:

sudo mv /usr/local/lib/mono /usr/local/lib/mono.old
sudo mv /usr/local/f-spot /usr/local/f-spot.old

See if that helps. Good luck, and sorry I haven't been more help!

-Eamonn