HP Deskjet 3420 and Tascam

Felipe Hickmann feclips at gmail.com
Sat Oct 14 19:54:30 UTC 2006

> On 14/10/06, Felipe Hickmann <feclips at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello, this is my first post here. I'm a beginner in Ubuntu, and
> > unfortunately I couldn't leave Windows because of two problems.
> >
> > The first, as described here:
> > https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/hplip/+bug/23099
> >
> > Some HP printers (including mine, Deskjet 3420) simply don't use the
> > black cartridges. When there is some black text, it prints it with the
> > colour cartridges, and that's really expensive. Seems like this
> > problem still happens in the beta for 6.10 version, Edgy Eft. Anyone
> > have any ideas?
>
> I would contact HP about that- I think that is one of the few examples
> where a manufacturer has taken the time to write it's own drivers for
> linux. Let them know so that they can fix the problem at the source.
>
> Do you print very often? I mean, if that's what's holding you back,...
>
> Dotan Cohen

Thank Dotan! I believe HP is aware of this problem, but contacting
them could still be useful.
I don't print that much, but this issue compels me to keep a Windows
installation in my computer. The problem with the sound interface is
more serious - it actually hinders me to use Linux most of the time.