.bashrc not getting sourced during Gnome login

Constantine Evans constantine at evanslabs.org
Sat Oct 14 17:19:36 UTC 2006

stan wrote:
> For some reason terminal sessions spawned from the Gnome window manager do
> not seem to inherit variables set in .bashec.
>
> How can I fix this?
>
> 6.10, if it matters

Sorry about the uninformed suggestions here. Gnome terminal is not a
login shell by default (unless you change that setting), so it should
not be sourcing .bash_profile.

It is sourcing ~/.bashrc on my system, so you should try to see if there
is something wrong with the file. If you replace it with a small file
like "export THIS_IS_WORKING=1", does that work? Does it work when you
start bash from in the terminal? Does the script show up when you start
bash --verbose?

Constantine