USplash Removal Part Deux

Constantine Evans constantine at evanslabs.org
Sat Oct 14 06:55:45 UTC 2006

I haven't had usplash on my computer for quite a while. The easiest
method is to just remove the splash boot option, as others have
mentioned. Unfortunately, a book on GRUB would not tell you this,
because it is an Ubuntu-specific option that runs a script in your
initramfs. If you look in your initramfs, you can examine what these
scripts do. At the time I removed usplash from Dapper, doing so caused
framebuffer based consoles to break. However, I believe this has been
fixed.

Another thing to note, if you are using Edgy, is that in its current
state, upstart doesn't give any console output, so you don't get any
more information than you would using usplash. However, usplash is neat
enough that I think this is worth it, and a event logger event would
would probably be very easy to make.

Constantine