diagnosing possible hardware problem

Felix Miata mrmazda at ij.net
Sat Oct 14 02:55:44 UTC 2006

On 06/10/13 18:52 (GMT-0700) sdavmor apparently typed:

> Felix Miata wrote:

>> I use cdrecord via an alias called "Burn", which always burns at 24X. Media
>> check on each CD I burned that included a media checker passed on at least
>> one machine.

> ah hah...

>> Each such burned CD (Edubuntu 5.10, Kubuntu 5.10, Kubuntu 6.06)
>> was used to install successfully at least once on at least one machine other
>> than those involved in my effort in the past week.

> That last part suggests that perhaps the read laser on the CD unit is
> "out of alignment".

You might have noticed upthread that I wrote that 3 CD readers are involved.
That was an error on my part. The actual count is 5, 1 @ 8X, 2 @ 24X, 1 @
32X, and 1 @ unknown.

Please let's just drop the CD/iso issue from this thread, as I'm totally
done attempting to use anything but FTP to install. If the Debian/Ubuntu
installer can't manage to verify the files it plans to download and then
install, then I'll pass on Ubuntu and stick with the popular rpm distros.
--
"The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him,
and I am helped."				Psalm 28:7 NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409