diagnosing possible hardware problem

Felix Miata mrmazda at ij.net
Sat Oct 14 01:18:24 UTC 2006

On 06/10/13 16:07 (GMT-0700) NoOp apparently typed:

> Felix Miata wrote:

>> On 06/10/13 15:21 (GMT-0700) NoOp apparently typed:

>> Maybe I'm missing something, but I feel it's the job of the installer to do
>> the source verification, not me, when I download nothing more than an
>> installation kernel and initrd before turning the job over to the installer
>> to install via ftp or http from a public mirror. Fedora, SUSE and Mandriva
>> don't impose that obligation.

> Really?

> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/Drafts/BurningDiscs
> ====
> Validating the Files

> Errors can occur during the download, even if your download manager
> reports none. Therefore it is very important to check that the files
> have not been corrupted in any way. This is the purpose of the SHA1SUM
> file. It contains one line for each of the available ISO files ...

But no link to or inclusion of validation instructions for downloaded
installation kernel and initrd, which is _all_ I downloaded before beginning
FTP installation.
--
"The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him,
and I am helped."				Psalm 28:7 NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409