Stuck with the Live CD

Tod Merley todbot88 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 13 23:06:46 UTC 2006

On 10/13/06, Pratheesh P <pratheeshp_007 at yahoo.co.in> wrote:
> I am Pratheesh,
>
>    I am new to Ubuntu. While I was trying to run the live CD (ver 5.10)
> the OS get stuck with an error in the X-Server. I am not understanding
> what it is. Please help me to solve this problem

Hi Pratheesh!

The "X-server" is a backgroud program that makes the Keyboard,
Monitor, and Mouse (and sound) available to programs which use it as
clients (like the Gnome Desktop for example).  Most of the time X
fails because it cannot find a good configruation which works with
your specific Monitor or Video Card.

Errors related to X are in /var/log/Xorg.0.log (name may be wrong, no
linux close look in the directory you will see it).  The "EE" lines
along with the "WW" lines should tell the story.

Most likey the monitor configruation is wrong.  Good the get the
technical specifications on the Monitor and Video Card (probably by
Google) and have them ready as you look into editing
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.  I like to go to the /etc/X11 directory and first
do a cp xorg.conf xorg.conf.todaysdate.  Make a backup you can go back
to or refer to alaways.  Most of the time the horizontal and vertical
sync numbers are what need to be edited.

Good Hunting!

Tod