How can I clean GRUB so my new install will boot?

sdavmor sdavmor at systemstheory.net
Fri Oct 13 22:57:23 UTC 2006

I'm trying to finish a RAID+LPV server install of Dapper Drake. It
fails at the point where it wants to install LILO. So I proceed to
finish without intalling LILO. Then when I reboot the old GRUB (from
the Linux install that used to be on these drives) activates and bombs
out.

Has anyone else encountered this? The failure message I get at the end
of the server install at the 75% marker is:

LILO installation failed
Running "/sbin/lilo" failed with error code "1"

So, is there a way to clean out the old GRUB using the "Rescue" option
on the alternative install CD? i.e. removeitcompletely. Or do I need
to hunt down an MS-Dos utility that I can stick on a floppy?
--
Cheers,
SDM -- a 21st century schizoid man