diagnosing possible hardware problem

Tod Merley todbot88 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 13 22:56:05 UTC 2006

On 10/13/06, Felix Miata <mrmazda at ij.net> wrote:
> I've been having all kinds of strange problems installing and using ubuntu
> and its various desktop flavors on 3 i440BX systems for over a week and a
> half. Most of the problems seem to be connected to one of the 3 HDs I've
> used, even though I've run the Seatools diagnostic program on it, which
> claims there is no problem with the device. A new 80 pin cable changed
> nothing. I've also run memtest86+ for over 8 hours without errors. The
> various errors include, but are not limited to:
>
> installer packaging errors
> installer can't find kernel to install
> apt-get/dpkg errors (e.g. tarfile corruption)
> file not found errors
> CRC errors
>
> I was not able to get a working installation without using the installation
> kernel parameters acpi=off and ide=nodma. I haven't been able to find any
> clues in /var/log anywhere, but I tend to think most of the errors are (old)
> hardware compatibility issues with their main root in the Seagate HD.
>
> Right now I have the Xubuntu desktop running, and booted on acpi=off and
> noapic kernel parameters. Is there something already installed or that I can
> apt-get that will rigorously test the hardware and report any errors it
> finds? Is there one particular situation that results in CRC errors?
>
> TIA
> --
> "The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him,
> and I am helped."                               Psalm 28:7 NIV
>
>  Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409
>
> Felix Miata  ***  http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/

Hi Felix Miata!

Ok, normally I would google for you but my current time is short and
you have more information.  Basically take your HW model number (or
better likely part thereof - this is a try and try again process)
along with your exact error messages simply entered in a google search
window.  This is probably your shortest route to find and fix the
problem.

Also try this with your chipset and bios being pretty specific - along
with the specific hard drive numbers/info.

It might be good to slow down the IDE buss speed, perhaps the drive
has trouble keeping up?

My suspicion is that you have an IDE inconpatability that results in
file corruption.  If you do not run two drives on an IDE cable I am
most likely wrong.

Try turning on verbose error logging in the boot/load process (google it!).

Good Hunting!

Tod