Virtual Serial Port for interface to Palm TX

Matt Price matt.price at utoronto.ca
Fri Oct 13 17:26:24 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-13-10 at 13:39 +0100, Paul Sladen wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Oct 2006, Rosalind Mitchell wrote:
> > So, I want to sync using Bluetooth.
>
> However you connect to the Palm (Bluetooth, USB, Infrared, Serial), they all
> ultimately provide an emulation of a serial port---and this is how the
> applications then talk to the Palm Pilot.
>
> A symlink (pointer to the real device) should get setup at
> '/dev/pilot'---does kpilot need telling to talk to this?

I don't use the usb at all with my TX -- it worked for me once out of
about thirty tries on 3 computers, running dapper and edgy.  According
to the pilot-link folks, there's a serious issue with the way the palm
signals its existence to the USB susbsystem.    I've now managed to get
both bluetooth and wireless working but I definitely find the wireless
easier.  In either case most of the hassle was on the palm end, not the
ubuntu side.

so here's my basic howto:

Wireless:

Connect to your local network; this was easy for me to do on my
unsecured home network.  You do this via the "connection" and "wi-fi"
panes panes under preferences.

in hotsync:
-under "modem preferences" choose "network"
-in the main screen, choose "Network"
-under "Select PC" choose your computer's IP address (you can find out
what it is with "ifconfig"

you're ready to go; test the connection with:
pilot-xfer -p net:any -l
if that works then you need to set up the network connection under
kpilot.  Don't know how to do that myself.

Bluetooth:

If you already can transfer files then clearly you have bluez working.
to sync though you need to have the bluetooth networking daemon up and
running.  Most of this info is available from the pilot-link site:

On the ubuntu system:
put XXXX in /etc/bluetooth/pin
create /etc/ppc/peers/palmtx with the following as contents:

debug
57600
noipdefault
proxyarp
# IP address of PC : IP address to be assigned to Palm
10.0.1.8:10.0.1.40
# My DNS server
ms-dns 192.168.2.1
ktune
noauth
local
nodefaultroute
noipx

the dns address should be your actual dns server's address; the IP
addresses of the palm and pc don't seem to matter much.

then ensure "dund --listen --persist --msdun call palmtx" is running

on the palm:
enable bluetooth (already done presumably)
setup your pc as a trusted device with PIN XXXX
from the hotxync app,
-under "modem prefs" choose "network:
-under LANSync prefs, choose LANSync
- on the main screen, choose "local" and in the pop up menu below the
hotsync icon create a new connection "PPP over BT" (or whatever you want
to call it)
 - here choose Connect to: PC ; Via: Bluetooth ; Device: [pc hostname]-0
- choose your new ocnnection in hotsync and press the sync button,
things should work, at least with pilot-link (do the standard pilot-xfer
tsts, e.g. pilot-xfer -p net:any -l" ).  I use evolution so I don't know
how well things work with kpilot.

hope that helps.

matt