Adding RAM

Brian McKee brian.mckee at gmail.com
Fri Oct 13 14:40:04 UTC 2006

On 13/10/06, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 13/10/06, SteVe Cook <yorvik.ubunto at googlemail.com> wrote:
> > Not sure if it would make any differnce, but would the size of the swap
> > partian effect the speed in any way.  Ubuntu recommends 2X ram size.
>
> Goo thinking. As the machine only had 512 MB RAM when I installed
> Ubuntu, it got a 1 GB swap partition. Now that it's got a full GB of
> RAM, it may want more swap. I'll need to add a swap file, as I'm not
> about to repartition the drive.

I wouldn't bother.  As I understand it, that old 2x the RAM thing doesn't
apply anymore.  Later version of the 2.6 kernel handle swap better than
early versions. To boot, having more ram means the swap is used less.
I'd look elsewhere.   Note too that a swap file is slower than a swap partition,
and adds fragmentation.

Brian