Limit trash capacity

Dieter Schicker dieter.schicker at uni-graz.at
Fri Oct 13 14:27:04 UTC 2006

Tony Arnold wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-10-13 at 13:56 +0200, Dieter Schicker wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> we have nfs mounted home directories here with quota restrictions.
>>
>> => Problem: When a user deletes files they are moved in the .Trash
>> directory in the home directory. So the user thinks she has saved disk
>> space but the files still "hang" in the .Trash directory. Of course I
>> could remove/empty the .Trash directories with a cron job but I'm
>> wondering if there is a more elegant solution.
>>
>> => Question: Can I limit the trash capacity? Or better: Can I advise
>> gnome not to put the trash on the nfs mounted directory?
>
> Yes. Using the configuration editor goto apps->nautilus->preferences and
> turn on the 'enable_delete' option.

Yes, thanks. I found that option, too. Problem is that the "Move to
Garbage Bin" menu entry is still visible and I'm sure some of our users
will use it ... Also, if you press the delete key on a selected file it
is still moved to the Garbage Bin and not deleted.

Well, not big of a problem, but ...

Thanks
Dieter