osx-like "open" in ubuntu/gnome

Brian McKee brian.mckee at gmail.com
Fri Oct 13 08:29:29 UTC 2006

On Friday 13 October 2006 01:03, Luis wrote:
> I also like 'open' a lot on OS X. I was actually surprised to see that
> gnome-open does the same.
>
> On 10/11/06, Brian McKee <brian.mckee at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 11/10/06, Joel Bryan Juliano <joelbryan.juliano at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I think what you mean is the quicksilver run dialog on OSX.
> >
> > Nope - not what he means at all.  open in OSX Terminal.app can launch
> > a program based on
> > document type when you 'open' a document.
> >
> > What I want to know is - is there a Kubuntu equivalent?
>
> [rant]
> No offense, and not in a flame manner, but sometimes I wish Qt/KDE
> didn't exist. I see so many duplicate programs... One day we will all
> get along and there will be only one graphical tool that's well
> supported and with a good license.
> [/rant]

Well,  no offense back at ya - but there are 'duplicate programs'
because they aren't quite the same.  Your favourite tool is my
piece of annoying junk and vice versa...  Software needs to be as
different as the people that use it.  I hope there is NEVER
just one desktop - monocultures are boring and unproductive.
Now, if you want to argue about whether Gnome should exist.... :-)

My quick testing shows gnome-open opens files based on gnome preferences.
e.g. gnome-open someTextFile.txt starts up gedit.
Double clicking the same file gives you Kate.
konqueror someTextFile.txt gives you Kate embedded in Konqueror,
so that's not it either.

Brian