[Edgy] X refuses to set proper refresh rate.

Scott geekboy at angrykeyboarder.com
Fri Oct 13 06:27:07 UTC 2006

I've not had this problem in Dapper, Breezy or Hoary so I fugue this is
probably a new bug.

After my initial install, I found that my refresh rate was at 75Hz
instead of 60.  I specified 60 during the initial setup.

So I ran "$ sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" and went through the
steps again.  Of course all I had to do was hit enter on every screen
because my previous settings were the defaults and were (supposed to be)
correct.  That includes the 60Hz refresh rate.

Naturally xorg.conf uses the the HorizSync/VertRefresh and I've not been
able to find a "translation" to that from 60Hz.

My Monitor's manual doesn't provide this information either.  It simply
tells me that my optimal/default resolution is 1280x1024 @ 60Hz.

X got the resolution right, but refuses to get the refresh rate right.
And it has made a difference. Notably when it comes to readability of text.

Anyway heres the "monitor" section of my xorg.conf.

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "ViewSonic VP191S"
        Option          "DPMS"
        HorizSync       30-65