Help! firefox won't start

Konstantinos Togias ktogias at math.upatras.gr
Thu Oct 12 21:34:14 UTC 2006

On 10/12/06, David Abrahams <dave at boost-consulting.com> wrote:

> All of a sudden I can't launch firefox!  Clicking on the icon adds an
> entry to the task panel called "Starting Firefox Web Browser" for some
> 20 seconds or so, and then it disappears.  Running firefox from a
> shell prompt seems to either hang, or exit immediately, with no
> diagnostic output whatsoever.
>
> I've tried apt-get remove firefox && apt-get install firefox to no
> avail.  I don't even have a clue how to debug this one.  Can anyone
> offer help?
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Dave Abrahams
> Boost Consulting
> www.boost-consulting.com

It may be an extension, or some configuration that causes the problem.
All firefox user configuration and addons are stored at
~/.mozilla/firefox directory.

Try renaming ~/.mozilla/firefox to something else, and then try to
start firefox. This way it will not detect any user configuration and
it will create a new ~/.mozilla/firefox directory with the default
ones.

If this way firefox make it to start, then indeed it is some
configuration. You can restore your bookmarks and other info by
copying eg. bookmarks.html file from the old firefox directory to the
new one.
You can restore the whole configuration by deleteing the new
~/.mozilla/firefox directory and renaming the old one back to
~/.mozilla/firefox.
--
Konstantinos Togias
University Of Patras