Switching to Gnome from KDE

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Thu Oct 12 07:14:04 UTC 2006

On 12/10/06, Tommy Trussell <tommy.trussell at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/11/06, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:
> > After playing with Gnome a bit, I _might_ switch from KDE. I need to
> > know these few things first:
> >
> > 1) Which text editor can I use to replace Kate? I specifically need to
> > bookmark directories on remote machines inside the editor interface.
> > Kate, via the fish protocol (ssh), is perfect for this. Has Gnome an
> > equivelent?
>
> Personally, I recommend Kate. It has all sorts of great features. (grin!)

I know. I'm madly in love with her, and I'll be hard to give her up. I
thought that _maybe_ Gnome has something similar.

> I use Konqueror and Kate all the time under Xfce. When I need to
> (rarely!) I can always start KDE or Gnome. When I use Konq to brows
> the remote system, I can easily right-click a file and open it with
> Kate, then when I save it the remote file gets updated. There are a
> FEW things that don't work (desktop integration issues, like dragging
> files from other file managers to Kate, for instance) but the basic
> app works great, and the KDE utilities work together within other
> environments.
>
> Switching from Gnome to KDE is neither irrevocable nor absolute --
> install both, and use what you need when you need it!

Both are installed. My four-year-old box cannot handle the heavy loads
of having libraries from both desktops open at the same time. So as
long as I don't open F-Spot I'm fine. But the minute I open it, so
many Gnome things get loaded that the box can't cope.

Truth is, if it weren't for F-Spot, I wouldn't even consider
switching. However, F-Spot is such a great app, that I won't give it
up, either.

Dotan Cohen

http://lyricslist.com/
http://song-lirics.com/