Setting up SAMBA on a laptop using Dapper Drake

stude.list at googlemail.com stude.list at googlemail.com
Wed Oct 11 22:22:06 UTC 2006

On 11/10/06, sdavmor <sdavmor at systemstheory.net> wrote:
> Devraj Mukherjee wrote:
> > You mean a 20gb NTFS or FAT partition?
>
> Yes. That's what I mean. Is there any reason for NTFS over FAT32 or
> vice versa, based on my need to write to it from both WinXP and *nix?
I'm not sure if its safe to write ntfs from *nix yet.
The file system need to be reverse engineered and if they make a
mistake it can destroy your entire partition.

I would use FAT32, windows can read/write and will auto mount it.
Linux will read/write and can be instructed to auto mount it.

But I'm not an expert on these matters.

NTFS can be safely READ from Linux (or atleast I hope it can because
if it can't I just lost one of my partitons ;)).

- Andy