usplash removal

Felix Miata mrmazda at ij.net
Tue Oct 10 22:47:04 UTC 2006

On 06/10/10 18:19 (GMT-0400) Paul Williams apparently typed:

> On Tue, 2006-10-10 at 17:34 -0400, Felix Miata wrote:

>> I tried to 'apt-get remove usplash' from a fresh edgy install. Apt-get
>> wanted to remove both usplash, and kubuntu-artwork-usplash, and
>> kubuntu-desktop, and free 2761kB of disk space. How does one remove the
>> bootsplash without killing so much?

> You're fine removing all of those packages. kubuntu-desktop is only a
> meta package, meaning it is not actually a package, but a list of
> packages.

That's the theory, but maybe there's an edgy bug here. Apt-get did tell me
after listing two screens of affected packages that it planned to make an
additional 2761kB of space available, which is not what one expects from
mere meta package removal.

> I believe, however, that you can edit
> your /boot/grub/menu.lst, and remove the word 'splash' from your default
> kernel.

ATM, I'm booting from a different grub elsewhere on disk directly to the
Ubuntu kernel with only my choice of kernel parameters, and getting no
splash. But, it was a test install with a borrowed HD, and I'll want to see
no splash when using the Ubuntu grub on the next install to the non-borrowed HD.
--
"The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him,
and I am helped."				Psalm 28:7 NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409