Upgrade to Edgy from Dapper results in no default gateway route...

Steve Flynn anothermindbomb at gmail.com
Tue Oct 10 20:58:42 UTC 2006

I had a network set up when I was running on Dapper.

This evening I upgraded to Edgy.

The network would allow me to see my router, and the mac which is also
connnected, providing I used their IP addresses. I couldn't see anything on
the net however. Suspcting a DNS  cockup, I checked and double checked my
config and found no issues.

Eventually, I traced it to the only route being set up for my machine being

Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use
Iface
192.168.1.0     *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth0

Regardless of what entries I made to the network wizard, I was constantly
presented with this routing table. A quick

sudo route add default gw 192.168.1.1

and things burst into life with a routing table of

Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use
Iface
192.168.1.0     *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth0
default         192.168.1.1     0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 eth0

Anyone else get this behaviour from an upgrade, or is it (as usual) just me?

--
Steve
Despair - It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black...