Mouse goes to sleep

Thomas Beckett thomas.beckett at gmail.com
Tue Oct 10 14:52:50 UTC 2006

On 10/10/06, R Kimber <rkimber at ntlworld.com> wrote:
> When I use the mouse, the pointer moves without any noticeable
> latency.  I can stop using it for a short while and then when I use it
> again the pointer moves instantly.
>
> However, if I leave the mouse for a longer period it seems to go to
> sleep (although the screen is still active) and when I move it the
> pointer does not start moving again for a second or two.  I find this
> disconcerting.
>
> Is there a setting somewhere that would enable me to change this
> behaviour? [6.06.1]
>
> - Richard

Is this a wireless mouse by any chance?
Most wireless mice have this 'feature' - when the mouse is inactive
they turn the LED off underneath and stop the wireless signal to
preserve the batteries, reactivating them again when it detects the
mouse being moved.
To speed it up a bit you might want to get in the habbit of scrolling
the mouse wheel a click or two as you put your hand back on the mouse.
This will wake it up and by the time you want to move it, it will be
ready.

If it isnt a wireless mouse then I have no idea. There certainly is
not a sleep mode for normal mice.

Tom