iPod and generic mp3 player support in Edgy and Dapper

brendon angel100974 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 10 03:37:51 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 10 October 2006 15:46, Damien Hull wrote:
> I've got an iPod and both GTKPod and Banshee didn't work. I ran into the
> HFS+ Problem. Got a friends iPod with a fat 32 file system. GTKPod
> didn't even see the iPod.
>
> The iPod with the fat 32 file system came that way. Apparently some
> iPods have an HFS+ file system and some have fat 32. This can be changed
> with the software on the CD.
>
> I would like to see the iPod supported under Linux but based on my
> experience it doesn't work. I currently run the open source software
> Rockbox. It works well with my mp3 and ogg music collection. However, it
> doesn't support iTunes. This is where a lot of people are getting their
> music and video's from.

I myself have a 20gb ipod colour(it does pictures)  now i have used gtkpod and
amarok under both breezy,dapper  and now edgy with no problems at all  gkt
pod is good, amarok is alot like itues and works basically the same it will
write all your songs to the ipod and rewrite the ipod database for it as
well, it is quick and easy to use.

yes  you are right some ipods that come out are windows/mac  but you have to
use a program like ipod updater to format the ipod and create the system
directories  that are needed.  then  you can use your ipod with gtk/amarok
for write your  songs to your ipod.

I have used rockbox as well on my ipod  and it was great apart form it
crashing every 6-7th song which was a pain in the butt, i would like to know
if it has became more stable and less battery hungry, as it use to chew up
the batteries something wicked.

all in all i would have to say  that kubuntu/ubuntu has a very good ipod
support and is works very well with linux.