bluetooth - how to pair phones

Jan Schmidt thaytan at noraisin.net
Sun Oct 8 00:08:09 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-10-01 at 13:34 +0200, Dimitri Mallis wrote:
> hi all
>
> i have a few bluetooth enabled phones that i want to pair with ubuntu.
> i try sending files to the phone but then the phone askes for a pin
> code to pair. ubuntu doesnt ask me 4 the pin & it fails the transfer
>
> i have done
> hcitool scan
> & gotten the mac address of the cell

I was trying this recently using gnome-bluetooth-manager with similar
results - the pin dialog that is supposed to appear wouldn't.

After some debugging, I eventually figured out that there's a dbus
service trying to pop up the dialog, and failing because it's running as
a user that doesn't have access to my Xserver.

I ran 'xhost +local:' to allow all local users to display dialogs, and
it could immediately pop up the dialog box correctly.

J.
--
Jan Schmidt <thaytan at noraisin.net>