Gigabit Ethernet

drew at technteach.com drew at technteach.com
Tue Oct 10 04:12:20 UTC 2006

> I'm somewhat familiar with some of the Pro/1000 models (concretely,
> the Server models which usually pack two or four network ports on the
> same card). What do you want to know?

In my application I don't have any use for the extra ports So I'm
comparing:

Intel PRO/1000 MT Server Adapter	PWLA8490MT
http://www.intel.com/network/connectivity/products/pro1000mt_server_adapter.htm

Intel PRO/1000 GT Desktop Adapter	PWLA8391GT
http://www.intel.com/network/connectivity/products/pro1000gt_desktop_adapter.htm

Is the superior performance of the server adapter worth the added cost?

After a first attempt at following above links and attempting to
understand what I read:

  The only difference I understood was that the server card supports
  both 32 and 64 bit pci busses, and the desktop only supports only the
  32 bit pci bus.

I'm sure there are a great many other differences I did not comprehend.

Thanks,
Drew