Display Problem with GNOME Buttons

Gabriel M Dragffy dragffy at yandex.ru
Tue Oct 10 03:37:31 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-10-09 at 18:45 -0700, Steve Grace wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I'm new to Ubuntu and am having an issue that I hope someone can
> enlighten me about.
>
> On my PC, most buttons in GNOME applications initially display with
> "dots" in them. There's a example here:
>
> http://members.cox.net/sgrace9/private/gnome.html
>
> The dots typically go away when the mouse pointer is placed over a
> button or when tabbing to/through a button, although there are actions
> that can make the dots reappear.
>
> This also happens on my PC when running the Ubuntu live CD. It doesn't
> happen when running the live CD on a different PC.
>
> My PC has an ATI RADEON 7000 video card. My system is configured to use
> the "ati" driver, which I understand is actually a wrapper for the
> "radeon" driver. The PC on which the Ubuntu live CD runs without this
> problem uses an NVidia card.
>
> Another user (also using an ATI card) reported this issue on the Ubuntu
> forum over a year ago but there's been no resolution there.
>
> I don't necessarily need to solve this problem; I just want to know if
> it's most likely a video driver issue that can be resolved by switching
> cards.
>
> Thanks!

Hi, this is a known anomaly with some ATI cards. Graphical errors on
buttons. I think I remember reading that the best solution was to change
from using the default "Human" theme. This can be changed by going to
SYSTEM -> PREFERENCES -> THEME. I don't actually have the problem myself
but I setup Dapper on a friends laptop and ran in to the issue a long
time ago so perhaps I'm no accurate, but worth giving it a try.