Gnome Display Manager?

Ed Smits ed.smits at gmail.com
Mon Oct 9 19:37:28 UTC 2006

This is probably an idiot's question, but I have run out of time and
hope someone can point me in the right direction.

I have a Dell Latitude D600 with the infamous ATI Radeon 9000 card
(32MB), and need to get it working tomorrow in the office with my
replicator and large LCD. I've been using FC5 for quite a while, and
there were 2 Display Manager's in Gnome - one a root tool to specifiy
video card, max resolution, display hardware and whether you want a
multihead display, the other the user Screen Resolution. With FC5 I
would set my video card resolution to 1600x1200, restart X, and it
worked like a charm.

I installed Ubuntu yesterday, love it, everything worked out of the
box, even got VMWare server compiled and working, installed
EasyUbuntu, used it to install the ATI drivers, however all is not
right, glxgears returns a piddling 125 fps, I'm still running mesa,
and have spent the best part of the day checking all the how-to's to
sort this out, but have run out of time, I need the large resolution
tomorrow. I don't care about 3D etc.

Any suggestions? Does anyone know where I can find the root admin
manager I used in FC5 and elsewhere?

Thanks, other than the crappy ATI I love it.

Ed
Canada