iPod and generic mp3 player support in Edgy and Dapper

Sean Hammond sean.hammond at gmail.com
Mon Oct 9 12:44:47 UTC 2006

So, among the people I have installed Ubuntu Breezy for I have:

* Someone with an iPod who had mixed results using it with GTKPod and
Banshee, Rhythmbox didn't use it at all apparently

* Someone who ripped a load of music into OGG then went out and bought
an mp3 player

So, I wanted to know what the support for these devices is like on
Edgy and  Dapper, but I can't try them myself since I don't own any,
although I have some info about ipods and Dapper from a friend:

* Rhythmbox can play music from iPod, but that's all (can't move music
on or off the ipod)

* Banshee seems to support moving music on and off the iPod, but crashes

So what is the status of iPod support in Rhythmbox and Banshee on
Dapper and Edgy?

And I've heard the Rhythmbox ipod plugin does OGG-mp3 conversion. How
does the Generic MP3 player plugin in Rhythmbox work? Will it
automatically convert OGGs to MP3 when you drag them onto the MP3
player? On Dapper? On Edgy?

So I can figure out how best to help these embattled users at some
point in the future.

Thanks!