How to get Nividia GeForce 6200 to work?

Henk Koster H.A.J.Koster at xs4all.nl
Sat Oct 7 10:17:13 UTC 2006

On Sat, 07 Oct 2006 13:47:43 +1300, Jeff Fuller wrote:

> I have downloaded the Nividia-glx driver and activated, also enabled the
> restricted package for my K7 kernel but all i get is a greyish screen
> when i Ctrl-Alt-Backspace? Any clues?
> "Life is short, go slowly".
> <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 TRANSITIONAL//EN">
> <HTML>
> <HEAD>
>   <META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; CHARSET=UTF-8">
>   <META NAME="GENERATOR" CONTENT="GtkHTML/3.10.3">
> </HEAD>
> <BODY>
> I have downloaded the Nividia-glx driver and activated, also enabled the restricted package for my K7 kernel but all i get is a greyish screen when i Ctrl-Alt-Backspace? Any clues?<BR>
> <TABLE CELLSPACING="0" CELLPADDING="0" WIDTH="100%">
> <TR>
> <TD>
> "Life is short, go slowly".
> </TD>
> </TR>
> </TABLE>
> </BODY>
> </HTML>

You must tell X to use the nvidia driver, so reboot into a recovery
session, then at the # prompt type

# dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

You can probably accept all suggested settings, except when it comes
to the video driver, which should be changed from nv to nvidia.

Then reboot, and things should be OK.