Setting up Evolution w/ local postfix

Craig Beck craigbeck at luckybonza.com
Sat Oct 7 01:43:38 UTC 2006

I'm trying to set up a mail server using postfix/cyrus/imap etc... and
wanted to test what I was doing with Evolution, but I'm missing some
trick with the configuration.

I've done the first setup steps of sorting out my postfix install and
have verified that I can send and receive email on the server both
locally and to/from the Internet when using cmd line tools like "mail"
etc, so I know that my ports are open, postfix works etc... The next
step was to set things up with Evolution. I have one other account set
up with POP3 that is hosted elsewhere that works fine. I can
send/recieve, to/from the new server.

I can't however figure out how to access the account that is on the
server (same local box as Evolution). I've tried via POP3 to localhost
as well as my domain, and also via mbox in /var/mail/user
and /home/user/mail but neither is working.

Reveiving via POP3 from localhost it hangs when authenticating. After
cancelling it gives an error of "broken pipe". Via POP3, i get the
message "Error sending password: -ERR chdir Maildir failed" in the same
dialog that asks for my password. After providing my password it fails
again...

If I try receiving mail from localhost I don't get errors, but I don't
get mail. I can see that I have received mail by using "mail" but it
doesn't show up in Evolution.

Which mbox should I use for this
anyway? /var/mail/username? /home/username/mail? something else?

And as I plan on being abe to use a POP3 client to get mail from
elsewhere, how can I set a different password for mail that is not my
system login?

--
Craig Beck

AIM: kreiggers