LDAP auth FUBAR

Romeyn Prescott prescor at digirom.potsdam.edu
Fri Oct 6 17:21:32 UTC 2006

I'm setting up a new box with 6.06 on it and I want accounts defined
locally (in /etc/passwd) to authenticate against our campus LDAP
directory.  With Fedora this is a simple matter of running
authconfig.  This morning's Googling tells me that there's no
equivalent beast (yet) for Ubuntu.

So I've been trying a few things I've found in the wiki to accomplish
what I want.  Now, when I use the Users and Groups utility from the
System Menu to add a user, it never shows up in /etc/passwd!  I don't
want my own local LDAP server, but I fear that's exactly what I've
gotten.  What can I do to verify this and undo it?

Thanks,
...ROMeyn
--
signat-url: http://www2.potsdam.edu/prescor/signat-url.htm