VSFTPD problems with all logins anonymous or PAM - SOLVED

Gabriel M Dragffy dragffy at yandex.ru
Fri Oct 6 02:53:59 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-10-04 at 23:42 +0800, Gabriel M Dragffy wrote:
> Hi,
> I can't seem to get vsftpd running at all, I get various error messages
> when attempting to connect, but no matter whether I configure it for
> anonymous or PAM login it doesn't work. One error for example is:
> 500 OOPS: vsftpd: refusing to run with writable anonymous root
> another is Child Died or something. Whatever it seems to be a real
> headache. I got  proftpd running perfectly with anon and PAM but since
> it's in universe it won't get bug fixes, vsftpd is in main/restricted
> which is the rout I want to take. Please help me out here.
> Cheers,
> gabe

I used to use proftpd and this created the ftp user, When installing
vsftpd I needed to first delete this user to let the vsftpd recreate it
during install. Also the home directory /home/ftp already existed and
had incompatible permissions with vsftpd, deleting this and letting
vsftpd create it its self solved the problem.