GNOME or KDE

Felix Miata mrmazda at ij.net
Thu Oct 5 16:47:32 UTC 2006

On 06/10/05 11:51 (GMT+0530) Sameera Shaakunthala apparently typed:

> Please tell me which desktop environment is the best. GNOME or KDE?
> Please descrybe each other (technically and non-technically).

As others have written, the differences are largely a matter of personal subjectivity. Overall the theme of Gnome is greater simplicity than in KDE, while KDE provides a broader range of convenience and power. I don't like
Gnome's simplicity, even though my preference for things in general is KISS. My first impression of Gnome was one of repulsion, from RedHat 5.2 and whatever crude version of Gnome it had way back then. Since then when
sampling newer versions of Gnome, I've generally found plenty that I can't figure out how to do at all, while being familiar with KDE, such things just come naturally through that familiarity. So, largely, it's about what
you're used to. If you haven't reached such a point, and you aren't sure whether greater power or greater simplicity is your preference, keep both and switch periodically between them for a while before choosing one over
the other. If your leaning is in one particular direction, go with that, allowing your attention to be more focused so you can get up the learning curve faster.

> Is it possible to run KDE applications such as kalzium on the GNOME? How
> do I install some useful packages distributed with Kubuntu on my Ubuntu
> system? If this is possible, I can remove both Edubuntu and Kubuntu to
> save disk space.

Edubuntu, Kubuntu, and Ubuntu are all the same OS, just with different default X environments. The same apps are installed by default or available for later installation, regardless which default you choose. Unless you
have a child user or are a child, there's little point to Edubuntu, while you might also want to consider Xubuntu.

> I am new to Linux.

If you select native KDE over the themed KDE provided by Kubuntu, you'll see more KDE power available than otherwise. Theming tends to make everything from one distro meld together in one basic look, which tends to mask
the distinctions between Gnome and KDE. Getting a complete native KDE isn't something you can do with the Kubuntu GUI tools either. For example, you'll need to use a text editor if you want the default KDE login manager,
as the Kubuntu GUI tool won't deselect and save the default Kubuntu login manager theme.

There's a lot to learn. It's probably best to pick a favorite desktop as soon as you can, and focus your learning time to best advantage.
--
"The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him,
and I am helped."				Psalm 28:7 NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409