VMware install - /etc/modules.conf or /etc/conf.modules file?

Dave M DaveM at Mich.Com
Thu Oct 5 00:25:54 UTC 2006

I am unable to locate the /etc/modules.conf or /etc/conf.modules file. What
file name does Ubuntu use for this configuration file?

Looking at:

http://www.vmware.com/support/ws5/doc/ws_devices_parallel_configure_linux.ht
ml#wp1064410

I read:

You should also ensure that the line referring to the lp module in
the /etc/modules.conf or /etc/conf.modules file is removed or commented
out by inserting a hash character (#) at the beginning of the line. The
name of the configuration file depends on the Linux distribution you are
using. When you reboot the host after removing this line, the
configuration file no longer starts the lp module.

To ensure that the proper modules for the parallel port are loaded at
boot time, add this line to the /etc/modules.conf or /etc/conf.modules
file:

alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc

Dave M
Davem (at) Mich (dot) Com
Ann Arbor, Mich. USA

Endangered electronic species: http://www.eff.org/endangered/list.php
"The 'Analog Holes' they want to stop up are our eyes, ears and mouths."