/dev/sda3 37G 35G 0 100% /mnt

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Wed Oct 4 18:33:07 UTC 2006

On Wed, Oct 04, 2006 at 05:29:29PM +0000, Muddy Islander wrote:
> I am having some problem with my Kubuntu desktop. I found some
> applications  acting strange and rebooted the machine. It shows the
> KDE log  in screen but KDE did not load properly. The system halted at
> a black screen. I rebooted in rescue mode, looked around and found df
> -h gives a stange output:  /dev/sda3    37G   35G     0 100% /home

Be aware that ext2 and ext3 filesystems by default reserve 5% capacity
for the superuser.  One of the reasons is that this helps prevent file
fragmentation.  df subtracts the amount of reserved blocks from the free
space (or the kernel does that before it passes the info to df).  In
other words, it is normal that total != used + free.

However your /home is out of disk space.  This is usually bad.  It is
entirely possible that KDE wants to create some temporary files there
and is unable to do so, and therefore login fails.  (Usually I've
experienced this when /tmp filled up, but I wouldn't be surprised if
a full /home has the same effect.)

Log into a text console (Ctrl+Alt+F1), remove some files in /home and
you should be able to log in into KDE.  I think.

Hope this helps,
Marius Gedminas
--
If you are angry with someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes... then
you'll be a mile away from them, and you'll have their shoes.