bind my hibernate key to some command?

Matt Price matt.price at utoronto.ca
Wed Oct 4 18:22:59 UTC 2006

hi folks,

running a debian 2.6.18 kernel on a mostly-ubuntu edgy system, I'd like
to find a way to bind the "hibernate" key on my laptop to some function.
the laptop is a dell latitude d820

as far as I can tell the keypress is not being intercepted by acpi.
acpi_listen records when the "StandBy" key is pressed, but not
"hibernate".  xev gives the following information when I press the key:

KeyRelease event, serial 29, synthetic NO, window 0x5400001,
    root 0x5c, subw 0x0, time 343812725, (1029,531), root:(1044,636),
    state 0x0, keycode 165 (keysym 0x0, NoSymbol), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 0 bytes:
    XFilterEvent returns: False

i'd like to get this key to produce a hibernation event -- in my case,
since I'm running a suspend2-patched kernel, the event would be:

sudo hibernate -F /etc/hibernate/suspend2.conf

Is there a way for me to do this in gnome?  I looked through the
keyboard settings and I can't see any way to bind to a sleep event.
I should perhaps also say that gnome-power-manager is turned off, since
it works way less well for both suspend and hiberntion than the
hibernate package does.

thanks much,

matt