File associations, firefox

NoOp glgxg at mfire.com
Wed Oct 4 17:23:49 UTC 2006

Karl Auer wrote:
> Hi there.
>
> Having upgraded to Firefox 1.5, I now can't seem to find any way to add
> file associations within Firefox. I want to tell it to run javaws when
> it sees a ".jnlp" extension.

Edit|Preferences|Downloads|Download Actions|View & Edit Actions

http://linuxfud.wordpress.com/2006/09/03/ubuntu-linux-file-associations/

> Similarly with Firefox; I get the feeling that as an ordinary user I
> don't have sufficient permissions to change file associations. Although
> if I start Firefox as root (sudo firefox) it has *fewer* associations,
> and I still can't add anything.
>
> So - where are they, so I can get at them with sudo?
>
> Regards, K.

One other thing to look for: check your directory & file permissions for
Mozilla & Firefox:

  $ sudo nautilus (this will start the file browser in root mode)

Then check /usr/lib/firefox & /usr/lib/mozilla etc. Check to see if the
permissions group setting is set to allow you to "Write", otherwise the
plugins will install, but not allow you to change them from the browser.
(select the folder/file, right click, select Properties|Permissions)
User files are in /home/user_name/.mozilla (use Ctrl-H to view the
hidden files).