File associations, firefox

Karl Auer kauer at biplane.com.au
Wed Oct 4 16:17:49 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-10-05 at 01:54 +1000, Peter Garrett wrote:
> Type  about:config in the location/URL bar
> [...]

Well, that is a very useful thing to know!

> Now go to Edit - Preferences - Downloads in Firefox,  and look for "View &
> Edit Actions" . You should find that you now have a lot of ( admittedly
> somewhat confusing) options for choosing default apps. Fortunately
> anything you do here is reversible though.

Yeeees - except that I still can't delete anything and (much more
importantly) I still can't ADD anything! I want Firefox to
run /usr/bin/javaws when I click on a file with a ".jnlp" extension.

But more generally I want to be able to tell Firefox to run the program
X for files of type Y, for any X and Y. It's a simple thing, and
something that has been and is doable in every other browser known to
man, so why not in Firefox?!?

> Yes, greyed out here too. In general though, you want to add a choice and
> then click it on the left to make sure it will be chosen as the default, so
> the fact that the list grows is usually not an issue...

Not really a very acceptable answer ;-) So where are these things
stored? Then I can go get 'em with a text editor :-)

Regards, K.