image manipulation tool question

Eric S. Johansson esj at harvee.org
Wed Oct 4 12:12:22 UTC 2006

recently picked up a cheapo digital camera.  My wife wants to use it for
creating pictures she can put up on the web as well as general snapshots
of things in our world.  Now she wants to be able to manipulate
(re-scale, decimate resolution, crop) images and upload them to sites
like Flickr.

The problem is, she is a *Magic user* when it comes to technology.
Being the sadistic husband that I am, I've set her up with Linux.  so
far, she does okay with a few spells that I've given her.  but to tell
you the truth, I don't know what image processing application is simple
enough for her to use.  She's tried gimp and run away screaming.  Any
suggestions of what picture applications would be friendly for a magic
user?  Additionally, are there any tools one could use to perform a
batch conversion on a set of images.  For example converting all the
images from the default resolution to a webpage friendly resolution.

---eric