Install lockup with 6.01

Matthew Johnson mattjohnson2005 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 4 12:03:35 UTC 2006

Hello All:

I'm a brand new user to Ubuntu and yesterday was my first attempt at
an install.  I've used other linuxes in the past so I have some
familiarity with how they work.

I downloaded ubuntu-6.06.1-desktop-i386.iso from
osmirrors.cerias.purdue.edu and burned it to a CD.  The cd boots fine
on my computer without any hints at the startup page.

I clicked on the install folder on the desktop and entered the 6-step
process.  I already had 2 ext3 partitions and a linux swap partition
from a previous linux install, so I left those along and formated them
only.

At the end of the 6-step process, I get the 'installing system'
notification box with the left-to-right gauge in the middle.  The
install proceeds until 59% and freezes there.  The CD spins up and
down during the install from a very low spin rate, to full out.  When
the install is at 59% the CD seems to be spinning, but at a very low
rate and very quietly.  I left it for 2 hours to see if it would
continue.  I've tried the install 2 more times since then.

This is my MD5 fingerprint of the CD: fb3af44c21f1f68cc25fda7edb8c1bd3

I couldn't find on any of the download pages what the value should be
so I'm posting it here.

I'm happy to receive your suggestions on what I should try next to get
ubuntu-6.06.1 to install. Thanks!

 -Matt Johnson
  Minneapolis, MN, USA.